Thursday, August 18, 2011

Wintry Mix

Summer is fast coming to a close; it’s hard to believe that it’s been near 5 month with Grungy Monday.   In this week’s episode the effervescent Linda from Studio L3 has challenged us to use Tim Holtz Distress Stickles and provided the inspiration.  Over at Simon Says Stamp and Show Some Bling, and the Design Team (blinged (blung?) …did a real nice job with the sparkly stuff. (who can’t resist combining these two challenges?)  And Inspiration Emporium asks Got Paint?, so I’ll take all three.
So again out comes the Distress Stickle Picket Fence and Rock Candy, and my head goes to Christmas.  What can I say, it is my favorite time of year.  And this time I did not lose focus.
For this tag I started with some new stash, Foil Tape Sheets and adhered some to a piece of white card stock (any color would work I just had some lying around).  Note: this stuff sticks really well, like contact cement and isn’t very forgiving.  So after I got it repositioned and burnished out the air bubbles, I sand the surface lightly to make a more muted stainless steel effect, (which sounds better than to hide the scratches I caused).  Cut a tag and embossed with the TH Snow Flurries embossing folder.  I think I had this upside down as the snowflakes go into the metal instead of raised.  I lightly inked the whole thing with AI Stream and Stonewashed and filled some of the snowflakes with distress stickles – picket fence.  Others received just the plain old stickles for added sparkle.  The snowman was stamped with Snowcap dauber on black card stock, sniped free and given 2 coats of UTEE.  I used a black Sharpie Paint marker over the utee to color the hat.  More picket fence, some bling for an eye and with some help (thanks honey) reworked wired yarn for the scarf and his ensemble was complete.  The elegant flourish was cut from black card stock and heat embossed with stardust embossing powder.  An elegant greeting and a string of bling and my snowman is forever frozen on a blustery day.
Thanks for stopping and don’t forget to drop me a line.

Take care

16 comments:

  1. Great tag. The foil tape background is fabulous.
    Thanks for entering Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!--Renee, Simon Says Stamp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Tag! Great technique! Love the snowman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, I think this has to be one of my favorite tags of yours! I love that the snowflakes are sunken rather than raised - I think it's a very cool effect. Also, everyone should click on the pic for the large version! The snowman is insanely cool. I'm leaving here quite inspired! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Brian! Your Christmas tag is beautiful! Love all the technique you used on this one! The background is just amazing and the snowman is really really cool! Thanks so much for sharing your art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brian, I had to pop by and say, GREAT TAG, great minds think alike, I have made a card with exactly the same theme. Tracy x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brrr .... love the icy feel to this tag tag, great textures,thanks for joining in with this weeks Distress Stickles party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the upside down flakes - super texture! And the flourish is cracking me up - looks like a big gust of wind is coming at him and that's why he's holding onto his hat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. fabulous tag - love the textures, vintage feel and that snowman is just great.
    Thanks so much for sharing your work with the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!!!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is some frosty fun! Love your snowman tag and embossing! I also love the look of debossed texture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really, really dread winter, but I know I can't stop it from coming. However, your tag is wonderfully wintry...Stickly and Blingy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haa Haa - the one week when you all seem to be doing Christmas and I change to something else!!I have that metal but haven't been brave enough to use it yet. Like your tip about sanding it and well done for being brave enough to confess why you did it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brian - the motion in this tag is awesome. I can almost see the snowman bouncing along! And don't you just love it when you discover a great technique while trying to cover up flaws!Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent tag, and your upside-down snowflakes worked out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. FYI, WintryMix(dot)com, is at auction now on SEDO
    until 11/04/11 10:15 AM EST.

    ReplyDelete