Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Mamma always says “Bloom where you grow”

Did you ever have one of those days when you sit down at your work station and the craft that comes out is completely opposite of what you intended?  Maybe it was the margaritas or maybe the wine, (or the combination) or maybe that I was not going to let work get in the way of getting inky for a third week in a row, but whatever the reason, I love this tag. 
So the challenges this week are Anything Goes at Simon Says Stamp and Tim Holtz’s Rock Candy at Studio L3.  So I’m all like this is a no brainer, Christmas in July, Big Rock Candy Mountain and Dolly Parton’s Hard Candy Christmas all started to whirl around in my head.  I love Christmas and was just digging the thought of making a Christmas tag.
So, as near as I can figure it, I must have entered the mirror universe, where the evil Kraftman, with his little goatee, came out and crafted in my chair.
I will say thanks to Hels Sheridan and Gerri Herbst and the inspiration they provide each and every week.  Hels had the brilliant idea to use a stencil for the rock candy crackle paint, and it turned out fabulous. And Gerri does some of the most incredible art. 
So with their inspiration and the evil Kraftman at the helm, it was ahead warp factor 9, and would please hand me the pink ribbon and that sparkly stuff.
The pink flourish was made with the negative part of the TH mask first inked with Spun Sugar and coated with pink perfect pearls, than a nice coat of Rock Candy Crackle,  Rock Candy Stickles are used on the flowers, which were inked with pen nubs and DIs.  Other glittery bits, like the wings and hat,  are normal stickles.
So how does this tie into Christmas, it’s a stretch but if you use your imagination and remember the movie “It’s a Wonderful Life”.  At the end of the movie Zuzu is being held and a bell on the tree rings.  She says “Teacher say a when bell rings an angle get’s her wings”  Keep that voice in your head and hear her say “Mamma always says, Bloom where you grow”
Keep in touch, yall!

10 comments:

  1. Hi there
    Love the tag though I have to say I have to stretch my imagination to see Christmas! Love the crackle flourish, I use that a lot as it gives loads of texture and interest. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do love this tag too! The image is wonderful. Loving the background the the addition of the flower in the upper corner. Thanks for joining the challenge at Simon Says Stamp & Show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brian, beautifully created, the soft tones of pink work perfectly with the darker colours, adorable image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tag is wonderful and I love the "momma always says.." . Great idea for the masking...Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really amazing piece! Certainly not conventional Christmas, but so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful tag Brian! Love that gorgeous image & the luscious piece of lace at the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice tag and I love your explanation. I followed you right back through one of my favorite my favorite movies, I can see Zuzu now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Which is more amazing: Your tag or your story to go with it?

    Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love yr story but love this tag better! lol.Great composition and color choices!

    ReplyDelete