Thursday, June 30, 2011

She said “What?”

Ok, it’s Wednesday night and I’ve completed a crazy twofer. Two tags in one, both sides are finished and match.
My project is for the Grungy Monday Challenge and Simon Says Stamp and Show.  This week Simon wants a word and Linda invited us to break out our alcohol inks and play along using the products as demonstrated by Tim Holtz.  So play is what I did.   

I knew that I wanted use metal.  So staring with a soda can I cut it open and fixed it to a piece of grunge paper.   I had the idea to cut out a gear shape from the tag and re-insert a gear of different material and then to somehow make a stain glass look through the gear.  So after a bit of trial and error, I wound up with a nice sandwich of clear plastic, grunge paper and aluminum can. I a tag with the mini gear cut-outs.  You wouldn’t believe how cool the tag feels.  I would say it’s like thick pleather, it’s smooth and pliable. But be careful!  If you do this at home, the edges are sharp and will bite you.  I used memory foil to cover the edges to seal the tag and protect my fingers.  Both sides were pounced with a liberal amount of ink in butterscotch, rust, gold, cranberry and stream.
Anyway after I had my tag cut the rest was fairly simple using grunge paper, metal foil, decorative paper and more packaging plastic, I layered and cut a bunch of gears.  The larger of the 2 mini gears has a layer of clear plastic in center.  This allowed me to ink up the knock outs from a plastic gear and fix them in place between the spokes for a stained glass effect.  Other gears were hammered or embossed with the circle texture fade.  All got some sort of extra attention with some AI. 
I then used Stazon to stamp the vixen’s head on plastic which was layered on metal foil and again on grunge paper.  One of the stamped images was flipped over so that is was reversed. 
Sounds simple right?  Actually it was easier than it sounds, but I have to say thank goodness for the Xyron Machine and the adhesive backing paper.  It made laminating a breeze.  Lastly I cut some letters from more grunge paper and inked them with Silver Alcohol Ink and then put the whole thing together.
I think I was grinning like kid in a candy shop the entire time I was making this tag, lots of fun and an inky good time.
Thanks for sticking around.

21 comments:

  1. Oh wow this is such a fabulous tag, both sides are totally awesome. Annette

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Super tag! I love the steampunk theme, the cool textured gears and the very nice background in alcohol inks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all those gears! Amazing tag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brian, great tag, you really went the extra mile doing both sides! You rocked both challenges! The Design Team are really pleased that you joined us for the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge this week - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That center colored part of the gear is genius! How much fun to have a project that made you grin the whole time you were at it. Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great twofer you are a clever boy ! wonderful techniques both front nd back.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tag is Unbelievable! Amazing! Awesome!

    I love the mirror image and the colors and those silver letters ... WOWWY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just fabulous! love all the details you showed and the metal around the edge of the tag adds such a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Brian! Way cool tag! Love the details on this one! Your word is awesome and I love the foil, etc on your background! Thanks so much for sharing your art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Brian: I absolutely love looking at your creations. So very different from mine but I LOVE your style in creating. I saw an advertisement from a man who is looking to contact any other men who "craft and stamp". It appears in the Scrap and Stamp Arts magazine July 2011 issue. I can pass on the info if you are interested. Happy creating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love it.. and two sided tags are the best except i can never decide which side to show!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really fantastic! Love the stained glass idea on the gears - very creative and cool touch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome tag Brian! Love all your details (as usual!) I love that woman with the clock hairdoo! Great inky technique! and choice of colours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such fun and fabulous colours and texture... (and thanks too for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge).
    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the effect you achieved for your background color and the gears look great - how fun to add back in the colored plastic bits to them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fab way to recycle the soda can! Love the colors of your AI background!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic colours & cogs Brian! Thanks for sharing that brilliant technique!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Brian what a fabulous creation you have made! Every detail is so unique and creative. Love everything but the letters are my faves:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have such a wonderful way with things Brian and love coming over here. The gears are wonderful - next die on my list I think.
    If you pop over to my blog there is a message for you!
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cool. Love that you used such interesting materials.

    ReplyDelete