Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Shabby but Chic

So today is Wednesday (almost Thursday) and I have completed my project for Grungy Monday.  This is good, so I can devote some time to an ongoing project.  Otherwise when my home improvement project for the summer begins (bathroom remodel) I will not have as much play time as I must finish this project on schedule.  (something else to blog about, maybe)
Anyway, this week the super cool Linda at Studio L3 has presented another Tim Holtz Technique Challenge.  Where we get our shabby chic on and play along.  CLICK HERE to see the challenge!  CLICK HERE for Tim’s step by step instructions.   

This week I wanted to try to make something bright and bold, and I need to practice this technique before making my final piece.  What I got was the image below, which I like but, it said “Finish me later”.
So, started again, liked the flourishes, used gesso with black dabber, some lime green acrylic paint for the resist technique and then smudged the whole thing with turquoise acrylic.  Oh, I used a makeup sponge (my new fav tool) to apply the paints.  Lots of good messy fun.  Made the rosettes and the airplane.  Stamped and Prefect Pearled the words.   Am I done, yes , and now it time to go to bed. 


Thanks for stopping by.

13 comments:

  1. Great piece! I love how the airplane seems to really stand out, and the layered rosette is fabulous:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your background colors, gotta try that make-up sponge technique: sounds fun and looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These turned out great! I love the airplane as an embellishment on the first one. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That came out very cool! But I really do love the second one best! Make sure you share when finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Utterly brilliant! I love your artwork Brian!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great combination of elements to this piece Brian.

    Gillian

    http://scrappydoo-gillian.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful background! Those dreamy colors are perfect with the airplane.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice start with the rabbit tag. I love the colors of the blue tag with the airplane. It is dreamlike because of the colors maybe? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your pieces Brian and the finished one is fabulous. I must get hold of the aeroplane stamp as both my son and husband are mad on them. Love your colours and the rosette has ensured balance and harmony. Great job.
    Good luck with your household projects have a great weekend.
    luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous creation!! Love your work. Good luck with the bathroom reno!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a lot of fun w/this one! I like both but those bright colors call out to me, even if it isn't finished.

    Debbie C

    ReplyDelete