Sunday, June 12, 2011

GM 10 – Psychedelic Grunge

I can’t believe Grungy Monday has hit double digits.  This week the challenge was to use distress inks. (I like to think of them as de-stress inks).  So when I saw the post I thought this will be fun and quick, almost everything I do uses DI in some way.  In order to prepare for this challenge, I did visit Tim’s website to review his demo video on distress inks.  It’s kind of a refresher course on the versatility of these wonderful inks.
 So what I did was cut a tag  out of our manila tag stock, clear embossed some images using stamps from the Visual Artistry Collections.  Then I used the wrinkle free technique with rusty hinge and peeled paint.  Once the inks were dry I removed some of the clear embossing by heating them up and going at them with a paper towel.  And then using the blending tool added broken china. Next I added some fired brick using a splatterish technique I picked up from my daughter.  And although it doesn’t show in the photo, I mixed some perfect pearls with some DI and water spritzed on my craft sheet, to paint the rays, compass and the stars.  The overall effect of the tag was trippy and made me think of things like posters and album covers from my youth.  So I made the flower and the little bird, stamped some flourishes the word is various colors and used some inked up kitchen twine to finish the whole thing off. 
So I get the twofer, coming in under the wire, and will drop this tag into the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge where all they ask for is a tag this week. 
Good Sunday everyone!

11 comments:

  1. Hello Brian! I absolutely love your tag! The colors are gorgeous. I can just imagine how beautiful the rays are; being painted with perfect pearls. Your background is well worth all the steps you went through to achieve it! The fired brick is a perfect accent color to have splattered. The stamped images are really well placed. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderfully psychedelic grunge tag with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the color scheme and your *splatterish technique*! Thanks for joining the challenge at Simon Says Stamp & Show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, I really like your psychedelic tag! A very nice piece that shows all the effort you put into it1

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT tag, Brian!! Love the colors - great composition!
    Thank you for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! I am in total love with that background.Is the sunburst at the bottomw one of Tim's stamps? Is that one of the embossed images? It looks SO good and now I think I need that stamp set, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous Brian. Love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. groovy baby!! c,")
    love the techniques and colours!
    tonyR x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Brian,
    what a wonderful tag...love your elements and especially the sunburst detail. thanks for yr nice comments.
    take care, gerri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the bird flying off the tag, esp the way you attached the wing with that tiny pop of color!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, I love this! It makes me think of the Tropics (a thought that makes me very happy on yet another grey day), and the happy little bird would make anyone smile! I agree: "De-Stress" Ink is the perfect term! Everything you make for Grungy Monday is awesome, and this is one of my favorites yet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful tag,
    love the colours and the bird.

    ReplyDelete