Hey, hey, hey. Summer is here and in full swing. I found this ugly little box full of really useless junk in the family wood shop where I worked while growing up. (long time closed) It was calling out to me, asking for a new chance at being something beautiful, something useful… something.
Meanwhile at Studio L3 Linda did a quick two step down memory lane and found a technique from 2008 for this week’s Grungy Monday Challenge. It’s tutorial from Tim Holtz, where he uses light color ink and clear embossing powder to make what we’ll call faux batik. (Do you know him? Click here if you need more info). I thought I would use this challenge as a jumping off point for converting the ugly into the super all ‘round goodness.
Ding, ding, ding! Father’s day came early and I got a whole mess of inks (enough to complete the DI set) and re-inkers as well as some new embossing folders. Nothing like new stuff to kick the mojo into gogo.
I used white cardstock with spun sugar (new fav) for the embossing and inked with shabby shutters, dried marigold and faded jeans. I tried to get away from this color pallet,my first attempt used spun sugar, fade jeans and dusty concord. But the box got nervous.
Points of interest, the inside liner is embossed chipboard with wild honey and pealed paint and then touched with silver embossing. The flower turned out better than expected. I had some black embossed paper. On 1 piece I swiped the paper with silver ink and the other I smooshed it with Versamark Dazzle. Both looked fabulous to me. I wove the ribbon through slits in the card and found a pencil that fit. A good start to something… More to come (hopefully without so much verbiage)