Thursday, June 16, 2011

Box of Goodness – The start of something …

Hey, hey, hey.  Summer is here and in full swing.  I found this ugly little box full of really useless junk in the family wood shop where I worked while growing up.  (long time closed)  It was calling out to me, asking for a new chance at being something beautiful, something useful… something. 

Anyway I took it home, I have a soft spot for old, worn and disregarded pieces.  So I removed all the hardware, cleaned out the inside, and sanded the finishes off.  GOOD DUSTY FUN!  Quite relaxing. 

Meanwhile at Studio L3 Linda did a quick two step down memory lane and found a technique from 2008 for this week’s Grungy Monday Challenge.  It’s tutorial from Tim Holtz, where he uses light color ink and clear embossing powder to make what we’ll call faux batik. (Do you know him? Click here if you need more info).  I thought I would use this challenge as a jumping off point for converting the ugly into the super all ‘round goodness.
Ding, ding, ding!  Father’s day came early and I got a whole mess of inks (enough to complete the DI set) and re-inkers as well as some new embossing folders.  Nothing like new stuff to kick the mojo into gogo.
I used white cardstock with spun sugar (new fav) for the embossing and inked with shabby shutters, dried marigold and faded jeans.  I tried to get away from this color pallet,my first attempt used spun sugar, fade jeans and dusty concord. But the box got nervous. 
Points of interest, the inside liner is embossed chipboard with wild honey and pealed paint and then touched with silver embossing.  The flower turned out better than expected.  I had some black embossed paper.  On 1 piece I swiped the paper with silver ink and the other I smooshed it with Versamark Dazzle.  Both looked fabulous to me.   I wove the ribbon through slits in the card and found a pencil that fit.  A good start to something…   More to come (hopefully without so much verbiage)

13 comments:

  1. Your verbiage is fine!

    And, before I blather on myself ... is that a CEDAR toss-away box? I'm telling you it smells like cedar to me!

    I'm loving what you've done thus far. A really beautiful choice of color scheme and techniques!

    Have a fun weekend and Happy Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Happy Father's day to you! Such fun treats you got. And we are the recipients too, your box is starting out beautiful. You gave me great inspiration - my son made a box exactly like that for me for Mother's day about 10 years ago. Why oh why did I leave it in it's original form? Your colors are stunning, and set off the box beautifully. Thanks as always for the inspiration - and I'm off to play with MY box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love what you did with the box, so what are you going to put in it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you've done so far to alter the box! Fab colors, wondeful blossom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Box looks fab! The ribbon as pencil holder is such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i don't mind the verbiage, lol! that box looks very promising, can't wait to see it all done. so far it looks yummishly promising: love the colorcombo and that technique is a winner in my book ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is looking like really good! I have an old box of my Dad's and have been afraid to alter it, so you are inspiring me! Thank you so much for stopping by and following. Have a wonderful Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Fathers day...and what a wonderful creation. To be able to reuse such aged wood adds so much to your stunning piece!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cool! I want an old wood shop to scrounge around in!

    Your box came out great and that flower is scrumptious. I am definitely going to try your technique!

    ReplyDelete
  10. looking great so far...love to see the finished thing! I am also a sucker for old unwanted unloved boxes like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooo! Rejuvinating old boxes is certainly in vogue at the mo! I have a tea bag box which I am working on, just need to get the wax pot out to finish it but time is short! Nice to hear that you are having a Summer - forgotten what they are like here in Wales!!
    Looking forward to seeing the rest of your box!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The box is beautiful at this point. Can't wait to see what else you do to it. I doubt that box is going to be nervous any more.

    ReplyDelete