Friday, May 27, 2011

Grungy Monday 08 Water Color


Well,  it’s late Friday night and I have completed my project for the Grungy Monday Challenge, once again Ms. Ledbetter at L3 has dug deep into the bag of tricks and pulled out a challenge that  was originally posted in September of 2008 by Tim Holtz.   The tutorial for this week’s challenge can be seen by clicking this link.  Click here
I have to say, I was not feeling this challenge at all.  I don’t have Adirondack Inks, I don’t have sentiment stamps and the last time I dabbled in watercolors was back in ’81 in the required college art class with the Dean of the department, who did not mark lower than 3.0 as long you tried. 
So this challenge really stumped me.  I had nothing.  I messed around with some stamps. Tried different inks and paper combinations and finally achieved an image that started to talk to me.  (more like a whisper and pictured below) 
Anyway once things got rolling I inked the background and repeated the imaged on a ATC. Sewed the ATC to the card (a first) and found the love quote online by none other than Edgar Allen Poe. 
All in all, I am very happy with the way this tag turned out and glad that I did not take a pass on this week’s challenge.
Thanks for stopping by, see you soon.
back of tag

20 comments:

  1. Well worth persevering with this because you have achieved a wonderful outcome! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And boy it's worked so well. Great idea to sew the ATC on and I just love the muted colours.
    Have a great weekend.
    luv and hugs {brenda] xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...for not having 'anything', your created SOMETHING beautiful. The depth of color and dimension on your card took me a while to sort out - which makes it all the more perfect. I love the way the ATC looks like it's in the spotlight. I could go on and on, but you get the idea. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian, Amazing! I love to watch your process. Somthin' out of nothin'. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this ...including the back :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea for a postcard! This is just terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic, that you took the challenge, without having the required stuff. Great idea, to stitch the ATC on a card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think many of us did not have the A inks, but made do! Well you made a wonderful challenge piece and I love your background, images and colors. Brilliant creation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brian, I'm so glad you gave this technique a try-- you ended up creating an absolutely gorgeous work of art! The stamping is perfectly dreamy and elegant, and the colors you used give this a rich, lovingly aged look. Great Poe quote, too! The stitching is a brilliant touch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your idea for the Post Card. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just lovely Brian - doesn't looks like you were stumped at all by the challenge! Wonderful mix of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you tried the challenge despite not having the right "ingredients!"

    You've created a MOST beautiful tag, and your loved and love sentiment is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sewing and continuation of the pattern from card to ATC is really stunning. Great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your tag is beautiful Brian! So glad you didn't pass on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful Brian, great composition. Love the sewn on ATC.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely lovely tag. I would never have guessed at first you were not inspired. Thats one of the reasons I do the weekly Studio L3 challenges, it teaches me new techniques and puts me in challending artistic situations. (that sometimes I not to happy with! LOL)
    great piece, take care, gerri

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your persistance has been worth it!! Gorgeous piece here. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You should be happy, this is fabulous! If you have watercolor markers such as Marvy they work great just scibbling on the stamp and then misting too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looking good! Love the vibrant colours of the second one. Thanks for visiting and recalling They Might Be Giants. My Belgian hubby was bewildered by my song and dance routine...see they have but beer and chocolate. How can you not hum that melody?
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete